Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Razor E100 Conversion

A friend of mine gave my son one of these Razor electric scooters.








It wasn't working properly, the battery charge would not hold past five minutes. I did some research and found someone on YouTube who rewired the scooter to use an 18 volt drill battery. I decided to do the same except I wanted to remove the controller in the scooter and use a 24 volt battery to match the existing voltage.



 I read somewhere that the controller in the scooter plays many rolls so I needed to decide whether or not I wanted to loose those features. One of those features was the push start ( Rider has to push off to get the scooter going before the motor would engage.), the other was using the twist handle to make it go. My reading and research indicated that bypassing the controller would possibly burn out the twist mechanism



because the controller regulates the amount of voltage going to the twist handle. In the end i decided to remove the controller and the twist handle and build a push button and a holder for it on the handle bars.
I started by cutting all the wires to and from the controller and those going to and from the old batteries. The scooter had (2)12 volt batteries wired in series. I removed the twist handle and and controller and batteries. I went to "The Shack" and bought a two pack of momentary push buttons rated for 120v 



and a three pack of Red,Green and Black 300v 18 gauge wires. 



I took a 4 foot piece of the red and black and used my drill to twist them together.




I made a hardwood box to house the push button and cut a hole to use as a compression clamp on the handle bar. 




I ran those wires from the handle bar down into the compartment where to batteries will be. I then wired the motor to the charging port and then to the battery and switch as shown below.




This above wiring is very basic and I wasn't looking for very much functionality with the exception of being able to make it go. I plan to buy another used scooter and make improvements to both speed and functionality. Right now the scooter goes pretty fast for my sons age. I would like to add a braking kill switch to the motor and make it a 32 or 48 volt system with a pneumatic back tire. Currently the back tires is an over sized roller blade wheel. I would also like to add  lights for night riding.

The battery used in this system is a Black and Decker Fire Storm 24V Lithium Ion battery. I used slip on connectors since that's what the battery has and I want to be able to disconnect the battery and charge it using the quick charger BandD made for it.

 

 I also wanted to be able to remove the battery easily for use with the drill it belongs to, until i can buy another to use permanently on the scooter.









My shady wiring. Not pretty but it works!!






I also added a hinge to the top plate to make battery access easier than having to unscrew 8 screws.



Happy Child!!!




5 comments:

  1. Curious about this project. I have similar project and wanted to know about bypassing the control unit. Do you still have to "push start" the scooter or does the "on/off" allow you to just start the scooter from a standstill? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In case you would like to buy a new one for your kid, you could visit my site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made a 28v Li_ion battery pack. Made enough power for me to use. Controller might burn out if you try higher voltages.

    ReplyDelete